Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day Two: Let the fun begin

Good morning from Malawi! I am sitting at our makeshift table this morning and I hear the birds chirping. That is such a universal sound, birds chirping! If I close my eyes I can imagine I am on the back patio of the house there in Normal and the birds are chirping, or I could be sitting in my Mother-in-laws garden in England or the deck in Solola, Guatemala and the birds would be chirping. Alas though, my eyes can not stay closed forever and so I open them and I see the wonders of the life here. We are living in a house. The house has four walls, but that is about where we stop in commonalities from the life we came from in Illinois. My body is a bit achy this morning as I adjust to our non-Serta mattress...which I slept on last night for six straight hours.
We were welcomed with wide open arms yesterday as we had our staff meeting, which involved walking the campus and meeting the other staff....mind spin...I hope I will remember names. Today I also hope to get out and take pictures for those of you who are in the waiting phase or want the pictures (how I usually am there)!
God is good. We did well on the flights, no troubles at all. We made all of our connections and traveled brilliantly through customs. In fact, of 8 suitcases, she wanted only to see one. She opened it and said, have a nice stay. Then flagged Leyana and I through and the woman behind us since she was in such great spirits. We also didn't have any problems through the immigration portion of entry.
I will tell you of a few differences:
Money- the money here is large, as in 300:1 U.S. amazingly, when I took money from an atm yesterday I was a millionaire (there is a first for everything).
Roads- ahhhh left side of the road driving and right returning, in other words, British ex colony, now drives the way the Brits do, and yes, the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the vehicle for my mind. The roads are some paved and some are not. None on the campus are paved, campus, oh yes, a new word. The campus is a series of buildings on a beautiful property with lots to offer (when I awaken to this time zone). It is dry. Very dry season in fact. Everything is brown almost. And by brown I mean crispy brown, like Illinois was this summer. The grass doesn't need cutting because when you walk on it, it crumbles beneath your feet.
The stove- so thought I was making hot water for coffee this morning. Waited twenty minutes and heard no boiling. Then I went back into the kitchen and noticed on the wall a switch to turn the power on to the stove. Hmmm...delayed gratification!
The doors- they use the old school big keys and yes, they lock from the outside and then you put the key in the door on the inside and do it again! Key stays in door at night so you can find it in the morning (as was the failure of my morning when I couldn't open the door at 7:30 for Marquita to drop off some items)!
Finally, the most expensive items: Toilet paper, kleenex, chocolate, butter, and diet coke. All the good stuff people...all the stuff we can't and shouldn't live without! Ahhhh...but God is weaning me.
If you want more spiritual stuff, probably best sign up to be a prayer partner. This will just be a candid blog and a day-in-the-life type blog!
Love ya'll!

Jesika and Leyana

3 comments:

  1. oh yeah, the keys...LOL. Have you tried Tsima yet? It is also called "pop"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, we are in Lilongwe. Do you mean the cornmeal porridge seema?

    ReplyDelete