Friday, September 21, 2012

Mzungu. Learn to love you.

"the little girls at the back of the bus, they used to laugh and call us names, they would talk about our hair, our clothes, and call us homemade"-Nicole C. Mullen
As I have wandered the streets of home, Area 25C, daily it has been brought to my attention that this new environment has not been exposed to the large variety of people that are in my other home, Normal, Illinois. As I walk, I hear snickers, gasps, and often outright verbal noise that says, hmmmm you are different. Mostly what I hear is, "mzungu" and then a burst of laughter. At first, it was very disheartening, because I didn't know what they were saying. Then I was told that is white person by a few people on campus. When I googled it tonight though I found something that says it truly means one who wanders aimlessly. Some children laugh when they say mzungu and so I have been praying that the word would be joy to my soul. It is my identity that I am white. It is my heritage as much as if I think African when I see the children. I am so blessed to be who God intended me to be.
"I am a promise, I am a possibility,
I am a promise, with a capital P,
I am a great big bundle of potentiality,
I am learning, to hear God's voice,
and I am trying, to make the right choice,
I am a promise to be anything God wants me to be!"
Today I was at the Blessings Centre with two of my students when I needed to go to the back house to see someone. As I rounded the corner there were a host of children who were playing. Each of these children has a special need, they are the different children in Malawian society. But they all yelled, "MZUNGU" and I looked, I said, YES! and they ran from where they were playing over and embraced me. Oh my goodness, my soul was flooded with joy! I am a great big bundle of potentiality...try not to get overwhelmed, stay calm, love your neighbor as yourself, grow in grace daily, and most of all...keep your eyes on what God wants you to be.
Jesika

1 comment: